Here’s an overview of my conference and public presentations — please contact me if you’d like to see an abstract, or seek further information.
- ‘The Magical Maid of Orleans: Imagining Joan of Arc in Manga’ (paper presentation)
Visions of Asia: Territory, Transmedia and Transnationalism, 20 April 2018, Melbourne, Australia.
- ‘Producing Multiplicities of History: Decentralised Narrativity in Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica’ (paper presentation)
The Asian Conference on Media, Communication & Film, 27-29 October 2017, Kobe, Japan.
- ‘Transforming girls, transforming narrativity: analysing the role of narrative in Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica’ (panel chair and presenter)
Japanese Studies Association of Australia 20th Biennial Conference, 27-30 June 2017, University of Wollongong, Australia
- ‘A whisper of a world: Madoka Magica and non-narrative franchising’ (paper presentation)
Mechademia Conference on Asian Popular Culture, 23-25 September 2016, Minneapolis, USA.
- ‘Producing databases, consuming databases: (un)official remix culture and the Madoka Magica franchise’ (paper presentation)
Comics and Popular Arts Conference, 2-5 September 2016, Atlanta, USA.
- ‘The postmodern magical girl: the evolution and contemporary representation of the mahō shōjo genre’ (paper presentation)
Mechademia Conference on Asian Popular Culture, 18-20 March 2016, Aoyama Gakuin University, Tokyo, Japan.
- ‘Empowered girls in many guises: Examining production and consumption of the mahō shōjo genre’ (paper presentation)
Exploring Japan Through New Lenses: Emerging Themes in Japanese Studies, 26 September 2015, Monash University, Australia.
- ‘Fan and database consumption: an examination of the Madoka Magica franchise’ (paper presentation)
Japanese Studies Association of Australia 19th Biennial Conference, 30 June – 3 July 2015, La Trobe University, Australia.
- ‘Same girls, different stories: the absence of grand narrative in the manga of Puella Magi Madoka Magica’ (paper presentation, publication pending)
The Graphic Novel Project: 4th Global Meeting, 6th – 8th May 2015, Dubrovnik, Croatia.